Chelsea Legend Salutes Senegal After Securing World Cup Last-16 Sport
Didier Drogba, a Chelsea legend, has lavished praise on Senegal’s Teranga Lions after they advanced to the last 16 of the 2022 World Cup.
Senegal advanced to the World Cup knockout stages for the second time in their history after captain Kalidou Koulibaly slotted in a composed volley against Ecuador at a boisterous Khalifa International Stadium.
With the win, Aliou Cisse’s men finished second in Group A, setting up a match against Group B champions England on Sunday.
Meanwhile, all three goals were scored by English-based players, with Chelsea defender Koulibaly sealing the victory after Watford’s Ismaila Sarr’s early goal was equalized by a penalty from Brighton midfielder Moises Caicedo.
However, the former Ivorian player congratulated Aliou Cisse’s men on reaching the next round of the global stage in Qatar.
Senegal defeated Ecuador 2-1 on Tuesday, earning praise from African fans all over the world.
As a result, Senegal finished second in Group A with six points from three games.
However, the West African giants will face the English Three Lions at the Al Bayt Stadium in Al Khor on Sunday.
After the victory against South America’s west coast, Drogba responded by tweeting;
Congratulations @FootballSenegal for qualifying, no doubt Bouba Diop is proud of you from above 2002-2022 @FIFAWorldCup.
- CSOs Push For Further Extension, Make Case For Students
- CBN begins old naira notes swap in Sokoto
- Probe banks over scarcity of new notes – MURIC to EFCC, NFIU
- Osun verdict, affirmation of Buhari’s tech-based electoral reforms – APC
- Reps ask NUC to shut down schools to allow students to vote
- Why Tribunal sacked Osun gov, Adeleke
- Why Buhari can’t attend all Tinubu’s campaigns
- APC Gov’ship candidate berates Bala Muhammed over inconsistent salary, pension payment
- Five miners killed, others injured as bandits attack Kaduna community
- Siasia loses appeal against FIFA ban in U.S court
- Nasarawa gov loses son, Hassan
- Why FG Could Not Track Terrorists, Bandits, Kidnappers’ Phones – Pantami
- Why we re-arrested Dibu Ojerinde, ex-JAMB registrar – ICPC
- My Govt Did Well, History Will Be Fair To Me – Buhari
- How my wife battled for survival as hospitals refused treatment – Slain lawyer’s husband