Court orders arrest, detention of ex minister Uche Ogah
The end might not have been seen of the ordeal of the former minister of state for mines and steels, Dr. Uchechukwu Samson Ogah as magistrate court sitting in Umuahia, the Abia state capital, on Thursday issued a bench warrant on him.
The court ordered the Abia police commissioner to arrest and detain Ogah for failing to appear before it to answer a question of alleged forgery brought before it by Ogah’s political party, the All Progressives congress (APC).
Abia APC had dragged Ogah to court over the document he used to obtain a court victory declaring him the party’s governorship flag bearer for the upcoming 2023 guber poll.
Ogah, APC’s lawyers argued in court, forged the signatures of the party’s state chairman and secretary and presented it before Justice Binta Nyako of the Federal High Court, Abuja. That court, on November 11, declared Ogah as the duly elected governorship candidate of the APC in Abia.
The judgement invalidated the candidacy of Ikechi Emenike who was earlier recognized by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) as the party’s candidate for the March 11, 2023 governorship election.
APC’s lawyers, later arguing before the Abia magistrate, accused Ogah of obtaining the Abuja court judgement fraudulently.
Following Ogah’s failure to appear before the magistrate to defend himself, the court, sitting in Abia on Thursday, ordered him to be arrested and detained.
Information was still sketchy at the time of filing the report as the court officials refused to speak to news men on the matter.
- CSOs Push For Further Extension, Make Case For Students
- CBN begins old naira notes swap in Sokoto
- Probe banks over scarcity of new notes – MURIC to EFCC, NFIU
- Osun verdict, affirmation of Buhari’s tech-based electoral reforms – APC
- Reps ask NUC to shut down schools to allow students to vote
- Why Tribunal sacked Osun gov, Adeleke
- Why Buhari can’t attend all Tinubu’s campaigns
- APC Gov’ship candidate berates Bala Muhammed over inconsistent salary, pension payment
- Five miners killed, others injured as bandits attack Kaduna community
- Siasia loses appeal against FIFA ban in U.S court
- Nasarawa gov loses son, Hassan
- Why FG Could Not Track Terrorists, Bandits, Kidnappers’ Phones – Pantami
- Why we re-arrested Dibu Ojerinde, ex-JAMB registrar – ICPC
- My Govt Did Well, History Will Be Fair To Me – Buhari
- How my wife battled for survival as hospitals refused treatment – Slain lawyer’s husband