FG opens Second Niger Bridge for 30 days
The federal government has ordered the opening of the Second Niger Bridge to ease traffic congestion in the southeast during the holiday season.
The bridge was officially opened at midnight on Thursday.
The order was given by Babatunde Fashola, minister of works and housing, at the inauguration of the bridge on Wednesday, and it will be open for use for one month during the holiday season.
The bridge would be closed to traffic on January 15, 2023, he said.
The minister urged motorists using the bridge to drive safely and responsibly in order to avoid undermining the project’s purpose.
Last week, the federal government announced that the project would be open to traffic on December 15, 2022.
Fashola stated during the inauguration that President Muhammadu Buhari’s goal in completing the bridge was to save lives and alleviate poverty caused by wasted hours due to gridlock on the old First Niger Bridge.
He claimed that opening the Second Niger Bridge would alleviate the sufferings of commuters who were always stuck in traffic during the holidays.
A lot of people have talked about a solution but the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration decided to build the bridge whatever it took. So, wherever the funds came from, investment income, from our oil assets, repatriation of some funds that were stolen out of Nigeria came in from the US,” Fashola said.
The result is now what we see. When people are talking about poverty, the biggest part of it is not the monetary poverty, is the multidimensional poverty.
When you spend two to three days trying to cross a bridge, that’s poverty, because it should take just a few minutes so that you can go and do more productive things.
The President approved that since the bridge is finished that we should create an access road so that during Christmas you can begin to experience what it would feel like plying the bridge.
The maximum speed limit on Nigerian roads is 100km per hour. Don’t drive 101km per hour. The President will be happy to see users drive safely and responsibly while using this road especially during this Christmas and New Year seasons. The President wishes you a merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
It would be open for traffic going from the west to the east from the 15th Dec, 2022- 15th January 2023.
Let me be clear again; we haven’t finished construction work on the bridge but we would open it for people to use to relive the pressure from the one bridge. On the January 15, 2023, we would reverse that movement for those coming from the east to the west.
- CSOs Push For Further Extension, Make Case For Students
- CBN begins old naira notes swap in Sokoto
- Probe banks over scarcity of new notes – MURIC to EFCC, NFIU
- Osun verdict, affirmation of Buhari’s tech-based electoral reforms – APC
- Reps ask NUC to shut down schools to allow students to vote
- Why Tribunal sacked Osun gov, Adeleke
- Why Buhari can’t attend all Tinubu’s campaigns
- APC Gov’ship candidate berates Bala Muhammed over inconsistent salary, pension payment
- Five miners killed, others injured as bandits attack Kaduna community
- Siasia loses appeal against FIFA ban in U.S court
- Nasarawa gov loses son, Hassan
- Why FG Could Not Track Terrorists, Bandits, Kidnappers’ Phones – Pantami
- Why we re-arrested Dibu Ojerinde, ex-JAMB registrar – ICPC
- My Govt Did Well, History Will Be Fair To Me – Buhari
- How my wife battled for survival as hospitals refused treatment – Slain lawyer’s husband