Four Nigerians arrested in Cyprus for running prostitution ring
Four Nigerian nationals have been arrested in the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC) for allegedly running a prostitution ring.
The Nigerian nationals are Sharon Blessing Chibuike, 38, Promise Ben David, 27, Chinedu Emmanuel Ibekweo, 19, and Esther Montse, 29.
The suspects face crimes of forced detention with the intent of prostitution, encouragement of prostitution, prostitution, and intentional sexual detention.
A Police officer, Vasvi Özbey reported the facts in sworn testimony in court on Wednesday, Jan. 25 after acting on a complaint filed by “OA” at the Nicosia Judicial Branch on January 23.
Blessing Chibuike lives in Nicosia, the capital of Cyprus, with OA whom they had brought from Nigeria to enroll as a student in Turkey.
The suspects withheld the passport of the 28-year-old, forcing her to have sex with men in exchange for money.
A search warrant was obtained from the Nicosia District Court, but no one could be identified at the address.
On January 24, the police obtained a court order to take in the suspects for prosecution.
Two notebooks found at the address now form part of the evidence.
The suspects say they are not guilty.
Judge Nil Elodie Çeliker ordered their remand in police custody as investigation continues.
- CSOs Push For Further Extension, Make Case For Students
- CBN begins old naira notes swap in Sokoto
- Probe banks over scarcity of new notes – MURIC to EFCC, NFIU
- Osun verdict, affirmation of Buhari’s tech-based electoral reforms – APC
- Reps ask NUC to shut down schools to allow students to vote
- Why Tribunal sacked Osun gov, Adeleke
- Why Buhari can’t attend all Tinubu’s campaigns
- APC Gov’ship candidate berates Bala Muhammed over inconsistent salary, pension payment
- Five miners killed, others injured as bandits attack Kaduna community
- Siasia loses appeal against FIFA ban in U.S court
- Nasarawa gov loses son, Hassan
- Why FG Could Not Track Terrorists, Bandits, Kidnappers’ Phones – Pantami
- Why we re-arrested Dibu Ojerinde, ex-JAMB registrar – ICPC
- My Govt Did Well, History Will Be Fair To Me – Buhari
- How my wife battled for survival as hospitals refused treatment – Slain lawyer’s husband