JUST IN: NBA Appoints 150 Members
150 members of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) have been appointed to its National Executive Council (NEC).
The NBA NEC, which has planned sessions every three months, is the association’s highest decision-making body after the Annual General Meeting.
38 Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SAN) and 112 more lawyers with various levels of seniority at the Nigerian Bar are included on the list.
The disclosure was made by NBA President Yakubu Chonoko Maikyau, SAN, in a statement released on Saturday by the association’s public relations director Akorede Habeeb Lawal.
Apart from the 38 SANs, other “deserving members of the Association” that were co-opted into the NBA NEC are “30 Senior Members (other than SANs) who are over 25 years post-call; 45 active members of 10 years post-call and above but below 25 years post-call; 10 past National Officers other than Past Presidents and General Secretaries; 20 members of special interest groups within the NBA and 15 active members who are less than 10 years post call.”
The tenure of the co-opted NEC members would run for two years, being 2022-2024.
The appointments were made at the NBA-NEC meeting of December 15, 2022, in accordance with Section 8(1) (e) of the NBA Constitution 2015 (as amended in 2021), according to the statement.
“This co-option, therefore, is a call to service and there are no financial emoluments (however defined) attached to same. The NBA President, on behalf of the NEC thanks all the co-opted members for accepting to serve,” Lawal said.
The SANs are Prince Lateef Fagbemi, Kanu Godwin Agabi, Mallam Yusuf Olaolu Ali, Yunus Ustaz, Albert Akpomuje, Oba Adelodun, Babatunde Ajibade, Olawale A. Akoni, Miannaya Essien, Niella Rabana, Jibrin S. Okutepa, Mahmud Magaji, Elisha Yakubu Kura, Sani Hussen Garun-gabbas, Ibrahim Abdul Atadoga, Sir Steve Adehi, Ama Etuwewe, Emeka Onyemaechi Ozoani, Paul-Harris Ogbole, Abdullahi Yahya, Abdul Mohammed, Moses Ebute, Sani Katu, Richard Ahonaruogho, Boma Ayomide Alabi, Chukwuka Ikwuazom, Asama Kadiri, Tochukwu Dominic Maduka, Dr Mohammed Ndarami, Sammie Somiari, Funke Adekoya, Garba Tetengi, Usman Ogwu Sule, Adekunle Ojo, Prof Bolaji Owasanoye, Prof Isa Hayatu Chiroma, CP Lough Simon Asamber and Olawale Fapohunda.
- CSOs Push For Further Extension, Make Case For Students
- CBN begins old naira notes swap in Sokoto
- Probe banks over scarcity of new notes – MURIC to EFCC, NFIU
- Osun verdict, affirmation of Buhari’s tech-based electoral reforms – APC
- Reps ask NUC to shut down schools to allow students to vote
- Why Tribunal sacked Osun gov, Adeleke
- Why Buhari can’t attend all Tinubu’s campaigns
- APC Gov’ship candidate berates Bala Muhammed over inconsistent salary, pension payment
- Five miners killed, others injured as bandits attack Kaduna community
- Siasia loses appeal against FIFA ban in U.S court
- Nasarawa gov loses son, Hassan
- Why FG Could Not Track Terrorists, Bandits, Kidnappers’ Phones – Pantami
- Why we re-arrested Dibu Ojerinde, ex-JAMB registrar – ICPC
- My Govt Did Well, History Will Be Fair To Me – Buhari
- How my wife battled for survival as hospitals refused treatment – Slain lawyer’s husband