Many ISWAP fighters killed in Damboa after pledging allegiance to new ISIS leader
In the Damboa area of Borno State, northeastern Nigeria, soldiers from the 25 Task Brigade’s Operation Hadin Kai have killed numerous members of the Islamic State of the West African Province (ISWAP).
The terrorists who had attempted a failed attack a few hours earlier and had sworn allegiance to the new “caliph” of ISIS, Abu al-Hussein al-Husseini al-Qurashi, met their demise at the hands of the Nigerian troops.
It was gathered that unspecified numbers of the terrorists attacked Wajiroko town in two phantom MRAPs and six Hilux trucks mounted with Anti Aircraft Guns.
WITHIN NIGERIA learned that their attack consisted of multiple mortar bombs fired from the town’s Gubub axis on the military base in Damboa.
“The resilient troops, however, stood their grounds and engaged the terrorists in a heavy gun battle which lasted for about 40 minutes.
“The terrorists were eventually forced to flee the scene after suffering some fatalities.
“Unknown to the fleeing terrorists, a reinforcement of troops from Sabon Gari and Damboa led by Brig Gen BO Omopariola, the Brigade Commander 25 Brigade, had already staged an ambush against their escaped route.
“The ambush paid off as the troops neutrialized scores of the terrorists and destroyed two gun trucks conveying many fighters.
“Items recovered from the terrorists included 1 x FN rifle, 2 x AK 47 rifles, 1 x RPG tube, 2 x RPG bombs, 1 x 36 hand grenade, 2 x FN magazines, 2 x AK magazines and 20 rounds of 7.62 mm NATO ammunition,” an intelligence Officer revealed.
- CSOs Push For Further Extension, Make Case For Students
- CBN begins old naira notes swap in Sokoto
- Probe banks over scarcity of new notes – MURIC to EFCC, NFIU
- Osun verdict, affirmation of Buhari’s tech-based electoral reforms – APC
- Reps ask NUC to shut down schools to allow students to vote
- Why Tribunal sacked Osun gov, Adeleke
- Why Buhari can’t attend all Tinubu’s campaigns
- APC Gov’ship candidate berates Bala Muhammed over inconsistent salary, pension payment
- Five miners killed, others injured as bandits attack Kaduna community
- Siasia loses appeal against FIFA ban in U.S court
- Nasarawa gov loses son, Hassan
- Why FG Could Not Track Terrorists, Bandits, Kidnappers’ Phones – Pantami
- Why we re-arrested Dibu Ojerinde, ex-JAMB registrar – ICPC
- My Govt Did Well, History Will Be Fair To Me – Buhari
- How my wife battled for survival as hospitals refused treatment – Slain lawyer’s husband