Nine-man gang burns 89-year-old over alleged witchcraft
The suspected leader of a nine-man gang, Ushahemba Agena, has been arrested by the police for allegedly torturing and burning an 89-year-old man, Kyado Justin over alleged witchcraft in Benue State.
The 89-year-old man was accused of using witchcraft to inflict sickness on a youth, Terzunge Agena, at Tse Agena-Gbamacha, in the Gwer East Local Government Area of the state.
The state police spokesperson, Catherine Anene, who confirmed the incident said the police rescued Kyado.
Anene said, “On January 18, 2023, around 11.30 am, it was gathered that Elder Kyado Justin, 89, was abducted by a nine-man gang for alleged witchcraft against a young man who had been sick in the area as pronounced by a witch doctor.
“The youth took him (octogenarian) to an area where they prepared fire and compelled him to sit by the fire so that by that torture, he would confess that he had a hand in the ill health of one Terzungwe Agena.
“Upon the arrival of the police, the hoodlums abandoned the victim, who had sustained various degrees of burns in his waist and legs, and ran away. He was rescued and taken to the Federal Medical Centre, Apir, where he is receiving treatment.
“Investigation led to the arrest of one Ushahemba Agena, who led the mob to the victim’s house. Efforts are being made to arrest other suspects at large.”
- CSOs Push For Further Extension, Make Case For Students
- CBN begins old naira notes swap in Sokoto
- Probe banks over scarcity of new notes – MURIC to EFCC, NFIU
- Osun verdict, affirmation of Buhari’s tech-based electoral reforms – APC
- Reps ask NUC to shut down schools to allow students to vote
- Why Tribunal sacked Osun gov, Adeleke
- Why Buhari can’t attend all Tinubu’s campaigns
- APC Gov’ship candidate berates Bala Muhammed over inconsistent salary, pension payment
- Five miners killed, others injured as bandits attack Kaduna community
- Siasia loses appeal against FIFA ban in U.S court
- Nasarawa gov loses son, Hassan
- Why FG Could Not Track Terrorists, Bandits, Kidnappers’ Phones – Pantami
- Why we re-arrested Dibu Ojerinde, ex-JAMB registrar – ICPC
- My Govt Did Well, History Will Be Fair To Me – Buhari
- How my wife battled for survival as hospitals refused treatment – Slain lawyer’s husband