Police nab suspected Anambra kidnap kingpin after 7 years of manhunt
The Police in Anambra State have arrested an alleged notorious kidnap kingpin, Mathew Nwankwo.
Nwankwo was arrested following a tip-off to the police after being on his trail for seven years.
Nwankwo was arrested at his country home, Nteje in Oyi local government area by officers of the command on Tuesday night.
The suspect was a member of a notorious kidnap gang that terrorized the state during the administration of Governor Willie Obiano before his gang members were arrested and he managed to escape.
He was said to have sneaked into the state, hoping to find refuge, especially as the Obiano government had elapsed.
A source told journalists that Nwankwo worked with other gang members, including; Mr Solomon Chi’buzor Morah aka Mmili and Hyacinth Chibudu.
“Their houses were demolished according to the law of the state. They were, responsible for many kidnap cases and took ransom to the tune of about N70 million from their victims before they were arrested.
The state Police Public Relations Officer of Anambra State Police Command, DSP Tochukwu Ikenga confirmed the arrest of the suspect saying that he was in their custody, adding that further investigations are still ongoing.
Ikenga also said it would be too hasty to make public the preliminary findings in order not to jeopardize further investigations.
- CSOs Push For Further Extension, Make Case For Students
- CBN begins old naira notes swap in Sokoto
- Probe banks over scarcity of new notes – MURIC to EFCC, NFIU
- Osun verdict, affirmation of Buhari’s tech-based electoral reforms – APC
- Reps ask NUC to shut down schools to allow students to vote
- Why Tribunal sacked Osun gov, Adeleke
- Why Buhari can’t attend all Tinubu’s campaigns
- APC Gov’ship candidate berates Bala Muhammed over inconsistent salary, pension payment
- Five miners killed, others injured as bandits attack Kaduna community
- Siasia loses appeal against FIFA ban in U.S court
- Nasarawa gov loses son, Hassan
- Why FG Could Not Track Terrorists, Bandits, Kidnappers’ Phones – Pantami
- Why we re-arrested Dibu Ojerinde, ex-JAMB registrar – ICPC
- My Govt Did Well, History Will Be Fair To Me – Buhari
- How my wife battled for survival as hospitals refused treatment – Slain lawyer’s husband