Reps hail DSS, say kidnapping, banditry have ‘reduced considerably’
The House Committee on National Security and Intelligence praised the Department of State Services (DSS) for providing “effective” intelligence services.
The committee’s chairman, Sha’aban Sharada, spoke on Tuesday as he led members of the committee to an oversight function at the DSS headquarters in Abuja.
According to the lawmaker, kidnapping, banditry, and terrorism have decreased in the country as a result of the DSS’s approach to carrying out its statutory mandate.
He praised DSS Director-General Yusuf Bichi for transforming the service to “attain prominence” in protecting Nigerians.
The service was informed about the committee’s interest to carry out the oversight during your recent appearance for budget defence,” he said.
The objective of the exercise is to access or evaluate your performance in implementing the 2022 budget, and it is also carried out to discharge its constitutional mandate of ensuring efficient service delivery through judicious public expenditure management.
On behalf of our committee, it is my pleasure to express my appreciation for working with your organisation cordially for over three years. The mutual corporation has facilitated the organisational achievement of crime reduction through effective intelligence service.
I want to use this medium to convey my gratitude to the management of the state security service under the leadership of Yusuf Bichi, a man of honour, vision and integrity. This cherished, but rare attitude in many leaders may not be unconnected with his success in transforming the service to attain prominence in the protection of lives and property in Nigeria.
It is significant to note that the level of crime, especially kidnapping, banditry and terrorism has reduced considerably despite approaching the 2023 general election due to his inclusive approach of utilising stakeholders’ input in the delivery of its statutory mandate of the service.
Also speaking, Adejoro Adeogun, deputy chairman of the committee, said his colleagues had had a good relationship with the DSS because of Bichi.
“We have a fantastic relationship with the service because of you. He has been a fantastic person,” he said.
In his remarks, Bichi said the DSS would continue to spend its budgetary allocation judiciously.
I have to also register my appreciation to the leadership of the national assembly for their tireless support of the service,” he said.
All that you have seen would not have been possible without your backing and support, and as such, we thank you immensely.
I want to promise you that whatever amount of money you appropriated to the service will be spent judiciously and when next you come, you will definitely see a lot of changes.
Peter Afunanya, the DSS spokesperson conducted the lawmakers around the DSS facility.
- CSOs Push For Further Extension, Make Case For Students
- CBN begins old naira notes swap in Sokoto
- Probe banks over scarcity of new notes – MURIC to EFCC, NFIU
- Osun verdict, affirmation of Buhari’s tech-based electoral reforms – APC
- Reps ask NUC to shut down schools to allow students to vote
- Why Tribunal sacked Osun gov, Adeleke
- Why Buhari can’t attend all Tinubu’s campaigns
- APC Gov’ship candidate berates Bala Muhammed over inconsistent salary, pension payment
- Five miners killed, others injured as bandits attack Kaduna community
- Siasia loses appeal against FIFA ban in U.S court
- Nasarawa gov loses son, Hassan
- Why FG Could Not Track Terrorists, Bandits, Kidnappers’ Phones – Pantami
- Why we re-arrested Dibu Ojerinde, ex-JAMB registrar – ICPC
- My Govt Did Well, History Will Be Fair To Me – Buhari
- How my wife battled for survival as hospitals refused treatment – Slain lawyer’s husband