Threatening voters part of Kano politics
Majority Leader of House of Representatives, Alhassan Ado Doguwa, has said that his threat to “deal mercilessly” with Nigerians who would not vote for the All Progressives Congress in the 2023 general elections is a political style peculiar with Kano State.
Doguwa, who stated this during an interview with Channels TV on Tuesday night, added that what he said was not a threat.
Recall that Doguwa, an ally of the APC presidential candidate, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, in a campaign rally said: “it is either you vote for APC or we deal with you mercilessly.”
Speakig during the interview on Channels TV, Doguwa said “That is not a threat. Asking people to vote for APC or we deal with them simple means – like what you can call shenanigans, political brouhaha which we make simply to ‘ginger’ our supporters, to let them feel that we are on the ground and we will get it right.”
Explaining further, the lawmaker said, “we have the shenanigans we use during electioneering campaigns. Kano State is an aggressive state in terms of politics of ideology. In Kano State, we have our own way or approaches when it comes to campaigns. You must employ and use what will ginger your people.”
Prior to Doguwa’s threat, the Kano APC chairman, Abdullahi Abbas, had similarly threatened that the APC will win the forthcoming elections by hook or crook.
“People are saying that I should stop saying the APC will capture Kano by hook or crook. I want to tell this gathering that the APC will capture Kano by hook or crook,” Abbas said.
Kano ranks among states with the highest number of registered voters in Nigeria and has often determined the tide of victory in national elections.
- CSOs Push For Further Extension, Make Case For Students
- CBN begins old naira notes swap in Sokoto
- Probe banks over scarcity of new notes – MURIC to EFCC, NFIU
- Osun verdict, affirmation of Buhari’s tech-based electoral reforms – APC
- Reps ask NUC to shut down schools to allow students to vote
- Why Tribunal sacked Osun gov, Adeleke
- Why Buhari can’t attend all Tinubu’s campaigns
- APC Gov’ship candidate berates Bala Muhammed over inconsistent salary, pension payment
- Five miners killed, others injured as bandits attack Kaduna community
- Siasia loses appeal against FIFA ban in U.S court
- Nasarawa gov loses son, Hassan
- Why FG Could Not Track Terrorists, Bandits, Kidnappers’ Phones – Pantami
- Why we re-arrested Dibu Ojerinde, ex-JAMB registrar – ICPC
- My Govt Did Well, History Will Be Fair To Me – Buhari
- How my wife battled for survival as hospitals refused treatment – Slain lawyer’s husband