Three suspected cultists die during gun battle in Rivers
Three members of a cult group, Icelander, including a gang leader, have lost their lives during a gun battle in Abarikpo community in the Ahoada East Local Government Area of Rivers State.
It was gathered that Icelanders invaded the community at about 2am on Thursday in search of their unit leader, Bright Ejike, popularly known as ‘Borokiri,’ who they claimed converted the group arms and ammunition to personnel use.
According to PUNCH, a source who spoke on condition of anonymity said that on sighting them, Borokiri and some of his loyalists engaged themselves in a gun battle resulting in the death of three. The source explained that residents remained indoors till the gunfire exchanges ended.
The source stated, “The cult boys have been having some disagreement among themselves. They shot themselves when one of the groups discovered the hiding place of their leader who collected all their arms. The unit leader killed two of the boys. Borokiri was hiding between Ogbo and Abarikpo in Ahoada East. Some persons in police uniform intercepted him. So he opened fire on them and they shot him dead.”
The state police spokesperson, Grace Iringe- Koko, who confirmed the incident explained that the intervention of the police prevented what would have been a bloodbath.
Iringe-Koko said acting on credible information, the police trailed Borokiri to his hideout and on sighting them, he opened fire on them and was killed by the police who repelled him immediately.
She stated that normalcy had returned to the area, adding that cops had been stationed at the place.
The PPRO said, “I can confirm that three persons were killed. One of them is the unit leader of the cult group. But as we speak, there is calm in the community now because our men are patrolling the area. Investigation is ongoing to ascertain the cause of the incident and apprehend the suspects.’’
- CSOs Push For Further Extension, Make Case For Students
- CBN begins old naira notes swap in Sokoto
- Probe banks over scarcity of new notes – MURIC to EFCC, NFIU
- Osun verdict, affirmation of Buhari’s tech-based electoral reforms – APC
- Reps ask NUC to shut down schools to allow students to vote
- Why Tribunal sacked Osun gov, Adeleke
- Why Buhari can’t attend all Tinubu’s campaigns
- APC Gov’ship candidate berates Bala Muhammed over inconsistent salary, pension payment
- Five miners killed, others injured as bandits attack Kaduna community
- Siasia loses appeal against FIFA ban in U.S court
- Nasarawa gov loses son, Hassan
- Why FG Could Not Track Terrorists, Bandits, Kidnappers’ Phones – Pantami
- Why we re-arrested Dibu Ojerinde, ex-JAMB registrar – ICPC
- My Govt Did Well, History Will Be Fair To Me – Buhari
- How my wife battled for survival as hospitals refused treatment – Slain lawyer’s husband